• The Quad and B Block

  • Forever After - Senior Show 2015

  • The Hall and Wharenui

  • Plenty of Open spaces

  • The Remembrance Garden - We will Remember them

  • Mahurangi College with Warkworth behind

Wednesday, 22 November 2017 | Term 4 | Week 6 | Day 8 | Views 9051

Information

Mission Statement

 "The vision of Mahurangi College is to provide top quality education to each of our students which will challenge them to achieve excellence in all areas of life, to make a positive contribution to society and to reach their full potential."


Location

Mahurangi College is situation in what is widely recognised as one of New Zealand's most beautiful rural areas. Warkworth is approximately 45 minutes north of Auckland and only minutes from recreational beaches, coastal waters, bush reserves, regional parks and open farmland.mahuaerialview

The town of Warkworth is a thriving centre for tourism, farming viticulture, horticulture, fishing and light industry. It is also the educational centre for the area with Mahurangi College providing secondary schooling for students living within a 350 square kilometre area that extends from Puhoi in the south to the Dome Valley in the north.

The College itself is located in spacious grounds bordered by the Mahurangi River.

History

Secondary schooling began in the district as early as 1923 when the original District High School was established in the town itself. In 1945 students were relocated to occupy four rooms on a Hill Street campus which went on to eventually accommodate only primary students

Mahurangi College began its history on its present site as Warkworth District High School in 1957. In 1962 it became a full secondary school of 210 students under foundation Principal, Mr C T Brooking.

In 1970, Mr A E Shaw was appointed Principal with the College roll at 303. Mr Shaw was to preside over many changes and developments. The most significant of these was in 1974 when Form One and Two students were added to the roll and the College became the Year 7 to Year 13 school that it is today. The addition of the junior students meant an immediate roll increase from 375 to 648 and created a need for more staff and buildings.

Mr C R Grey took over leadership of the school in 1994 with the roll at 863 students. When Mr Macleod took over as Principal in Term 4 of 2002 the school roll had increased to 1078 students. The roll has now risen to above 1300